"The crown of literature is poetry." - W Somerset Maugham
Hello Writers and Listeners!!
If you know of anyone who would like to be on the email list, please feel free to share my info with them. If you know of any events, if you will be part of an event, or if there is an error on the venue list (I don’t want to send people to a venue that no longer exists or has changed its day or time.), please let me know as soon as possible!! Also, if you have fliers, please pass them along. Remember knowledge is power!!
The Good Word This Week!!:
1. In Honor of the Military: The Venue on 35th will host a military poetry performance entitled, “These Colors Don’t Run, But They Do Bleed,” on April 27th only with 2 shows: 2:00 to 4:00 and 5:00 to 7:00. Mr. Speaker and Latino A2J are still looking for a few more poems to add to the show. They need to be related to the war; they also request that you provide a military photo of someone you want to honor. If this is something you are interested in, please contact them no later than March 31st. The tickets are only $10 and limited!! For more info, please contact Mr. Speaker: email@example.com and/or Latino A2J: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. New Venue!!: Joanna Lee invites you to be a part of the christening of a new open-mic at Taza Coffee n Crème in Richmond on Friday, April 26th starting at 7:00!! It just keeps gettin’ better and better!!
For more info: https://www.facebook.com/events/115194748674589/?fref=ts or http://the-tenth-muse.com/eventsandhappenings/
3. Reading: There will be a poetry reading at Beth Shalom in VA Beach featuring poets: Michal Mahgerefteh and Bob Young on Thursday, April 4th from 3:00 to 4:00. This is free and open to the public. For more info:
4. NSU Open-Mic: As part of NSU’s Art Week, there will be a night of spoken word/open mic on Wednesday, April 3rd, from 7:00 to 9:00 at the NSU’s Spartan Station.
5. It’s Back!!: Soul Manifesto is back on April 13th at the Bayside Inn and Restaurant on Saturday, April 13th. The doors open at 8:30 with a $5 cover that will include a raffle. Some of the features include: Charles Table and the very talented and host of Verses and Vibes, Glo Shines!!
6. Grand Opening Open-Mic – 410 Gallery will have their grand opening on Saturday, April 13th, from 7:00 – 10:00, followed by a late night open-mic from 10:30 – 1:00. For more info: https://www.facebook.com/Gallery410
a. Hampton Road Youth Slam Festival: It’s that time of the year again to choose the 757 teens that will represent the 757 at Brave New Voices in Chicago this summer. The preliminary slam is on March 30th from 2:00 to 4:00 at the VA MOCA. The semi-final round will be at the Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center on April 20th from 5:00 to 7:00, and the Grand Slam…..TBD. If you’ve never heard them, now is a great opportunity to hear some great talent and support the local youths in our community!! Please see venue list for more details or go to: https://www.facebook.com/events/145206502304716/. (flier attached)
b. TCC Festival: The 2013 TCC Literary Festival will be from April 1st to April 4th. Featured readers include Remica Bingham-Risher and Tim Seibles. This event is free and open to the public!! For more info: http://www.tcc.edu/news/press/2013/LitFest.htm- Campus Locations will vary: http://www.tcc.edu/literaryfestival/
c. Chesapeake Poet Festival: It’s that time of the year!! Synnika is back with the 4th Annual People Poetry Festival beginning April 6th and running thru April 27th. The festival will include workshops, seminars, an open-mic and a book club meeting. (flier attached)
d. Westhampton Poetry Slam: Westhampton Community Center is gearing up for their annual Poetry Slam scheduled for Saturday, April 13th beginning at 6:00. This event is open to ages 12 to 21, and there is a $5 participant fee. Prizes will be awarded. Please contact Marie St. Clair for more details: email@example.com
e. An Afternoon at Prince Books: Please join poets and authors, Nina Brewton and Benjamin Daniel on April 14th for a Sunday afternoon of prose and poetry. They will be reading from their books, “Heart of a Queen” and “These Long Tailed Words”, respectively. Books will be for sale and you can also purchase them in advance. For more info, see venue list or go to: https://www.facebook.com/events/445485072197839/?notif_t=plan_user_invited
f. It’s Back!!!: The Mic Fiend is in full effect on Saturday, yes, Saturday, April 27th at Harry O’s in VA Beach. I am telling you that this is a show you do not want to miss!! Featured poets include: Firefly, Glo Shines, Champ the Poet, Mr. Speaker and Jorge Mendez, just to name a few. The doors open at 8:00, and tickets are only $10 (subject to change). Get there early because it will be a full house!!! https://www.facebook.com/events/351135485003127/?fref=ts
h. Wanna Become a Published Author?: Nathan Richardson will facilitate a 5 hour workshop on The Business of Becoming a Published Author on Saturday, June 1st, beginning at 10:00 am. The cost, for this wealth of knowledge, is only $55. For more info: http://www.meetup.com/writers-962/events/96134472/
i. NY Trip Time Sensitive Info: I will be sending out a separate emails concerning the NY Trip. The information is time sensitive as there are deadlines involved with this trip. It will be on a first come, first served basis, so don’t get left out!! I will also post it on my blog: www.goodwordpoetryplus.blogspot.com. (flier attached)
Please be sure to check my Facebook page or my blog: www.goodwordpoetryplus.blogspot.com, for things that may come up or change during the week.
That’s it for now. Have a great week!!